Monday, 12 January 2015

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

How to describe Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell in a single word? Easy. It's MAGICAL. No, there aren't any wizards in there, but I swear the author has magic hands. Eleanor & Park was my first book from this author and now that I've read another (Landline), Its safe to say that the author truly has an act for taking a simple complication and realistic characters and turning it into a series of magical events. The way that she describes people, their communications,  feelings, I don't know - a rock?, is just amazing and heartwarming. My heart was truly warmed when I read Eleanor & Park.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell review, young adult fiction novel, pakistani beauty nail art book blog
Picture taken from GoodReads

It's 1986. There's Park - half Korean, yellow skinned and cannot drive while his dad is looking. His dad thinks there's definitely something wrong with him. He doesn't like to talk to people.

Then there's Eleanor - a new girl in the school. Half Danish, half Scottish. Crazy red hair and white skin. She dresses really weird, but that's all she can afford. And there's somebody harassing her.

Just two more periods until English. She wondered if he'd talk to her in class. Maybe that's what they did now.

In the beginning Eleanor and park's communication is silent. Literally. Park speaks by leaving his comic books on her seat on the bus and Eleanor's reply is that she takes them home and reads them and takes good care of them. They begin to talk and realize they're in love. But Eleanor isn't allowed to love. She isn't allowed anything. For Eleanor their relationship is a forbidden love and for Park their relationship is misfit. Will park's perfect life (according to Eleanor) become too overwhelming for Eleanor?

Like, Park would be driving to work and he'd see a girl with red hair standing on the street, and he'd swear for half an airless moment that it was her.

There are a lot of geeky references in the book -songs by U2, comic books like batman, X-men, etc. So if you like that kinda stuff, then you'll love the book. The ending of the book really made me sad yet happy at the same time. It made me smile like an idiot and all happy and fuzzy inside. It just made me keep wondering about the characters. It took a while for me to get out of Eleanor and Park's world and read another book. I read this book during my exams and I haven't regretted it one bit. Eleanor reminds me of the heroine in the Disney movie Brave, and every other Korean guy I see is Park to me now. My favorite character from the book, apart from Eleanor and Park, is Park's mom - she has a funny personality.

The story of the book is not very extraordinary itself. But the realistic characters and writing style makes the book extraordinary.  It's a must read for all Young Adult Fiction lovers. And I hereby swear that I'll read all novels written by this author with magic hands.

Love,

4 comments :

  1. This book looks so tempting to me :) need to read this now :) added this to my reading list :) And iam lately loving your book reviews ^_^
    annmakeupblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have tempted me so much.thankyou you just reviewed and did not spoil the storyline ^_^ I loved the review.You should write more of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a good read and the description you gave is great! I'll watch out for this! :) x

    Jadirah Sarmad | Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...