Sunday, 31 August 2014

Dry Skin Diary: Milk Cleansing

Hey there pretty girls! I decided to create this series of my skincare endevours for all the dry skin beauties reading my blog. Since this is the first post, I decided to start at the base; cleansing.

Disclaimer: It’s going to be a boring post with just text and no pictures, except this one below.


Few months back I discovered the power of milk cleansing. Milk cleansing isn’t some kind of weekly, deep cleansing treatment. If you have dry skin, you need to toss that foaming cleanser aside and use a milk cleanser daily! Yes, DAILY. I know that sounds like a major pain, but trust me you’ll love your skin afterwards.

Just like foaming cleansers, milk cleansers are formulated to clean your pores. But unlike foaming cleansers, milk cleansers do not strip your skin off of the oils. Therefore, your skin won’t feel tight after washing your face and you definitely will not need to reapply heavy moisturizers throughout the day! Doesn't that sound great?

Here’s how I use milk cleansers:
  1. I take a coin sized amount of the cleanser and massage on my face in circular motions. I keep massaging for 5-10 secs or until all the cleanser has been absorbed into my skin. You may also use a facial brush to massage if you own one.
  2. I wipe off the residue GENTLY with a cotton ball. (and look back at the dirt on the cotton back every time! ^_^ makes me feel better that my pores are dirt-free!)
  3. Then I give my face a rinse with water. ONLY water. No foaming cleansers please!
  4. Next, I pour some toner on a cotton ball and wipe it on my face. This will remove any cleanser residue or left-over dirt from your pores. (again, I look :-D)
  5. Now would be the time to apply any serums (if you use any) and then follow up with a moisturizer.

If you have dry or normal skin, then this cleansing method is perfect for you! You will really notice a change in your skin. It feels softer and looks healthy, plump and radiant! I even notice a change in my uneven skin tone when I use milk cleansers daily. All the rough and dry patches on my face have been cured. My makeup applies and looks better too! Who knew changing my cleanser could literally save my skin?

Even though I have dry/normal skin, my skin gets a teensy bit oily in Karachi summers, so I like to use a gentle foaming wash before milk cleansing. This is called ‘double cleansing’, which means using 2 cleansers to deeply clean your skin. And in winters, my thirsty skin absorbs all the cleanser in, so I skip rinsing (step 3). For very dry skins, I’d recommend using cleansing cream, balm or butter. If you have sensitive skin, or redness, then look out for cleansers with plant extracts like aloe or chamomile. They help to soothe your skin.

I like to use milk cleanser once a day when I get back home from school, ‘cause I think too much milk could be bad for the skin. In the mornings only I use a gentle foaming wash. They are just bad juju for dry skin. The sooner you lessen their usage, the better. I’m currently using PONDS White Beauty Cleansing Milk and The Body Shop Aloe Calming Cleanser and I love both of them. The Body Shop one is creamy, soothes my skin and I love using it in winters. PONDS is very refreshing, light weight and an awesome budget buy. I want to try out Nivea next.

What are your favorite milk cleansers? I'd love to know!

Lots of love,

7 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing these tips.. I have dry/combo skin... This sure was helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, I'm relieved to know that there are people here too with dry skin because most Asians are oily!! I'm looking forward to this series! I couldn't agree more. It took me a long time to realise how damaging foam cleansers are for dry skin and with regular usage of milk cleansers I have seen how easily I can tame my skin. This is a very helpful post for teenagers in particular who are still new to skin care! :) xx

    p.s: Thanks a ton for your kind words on my blog! :* You are such a sweetheart! ^_^

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thanks for leaving such a long comment. I looove long comments!
      Second, I know right! Oilies everywhere! And same here buddy, took me a long time too.
      And you're welcome! You deserve it though ^_^

      Delete
  4. I have an extremely dry skin.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...